The Golden Wrench

A blog about bicycle repair and maintenance by the mechanics at Freewheel Bike.

Monday, August 7, 2017

The best bike I've ever owned


I've owned a lot of bikes in my life from ranging in style from mountain to road, hybrid and even fixie. Out of all those bikes, there is one that holds a special place in my heart. This bike is nothing special, just an Orange steel single speed that I named Star-buck after a character from Battle-star Galactia.  I've ridden Star-buck in the rain, the snow, the heat and the wind.  I've ridden Star-buck up hills and down mountains. Together, we have zipped wildly thorough busy Manhattan street, traversed down country roads and lazily followed the Mississippi river. Star-buck has seen me at my best and worst: cross country moves, broken collar bones, brake ups, the makings of new friendships and new lives. All this time, my little orange Star-buck has been by my side. I've never owned a bike that made me feel more alive and happy. When I am riding Star-buck, I feel like a biker.